Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Blue Mountains City Library

-->
Effective Library Website Criteria

1.     Up to date and regular postings.
2.     Easy to navigate
3.     Search bars on every page
4.     Relevant photos
5.     Mobile Friendly
6.     Feedback
7.     Ability to view catalogue and reserve items
8.     Contact information/online librarian service

Most of my criteria were selected after reading the Matthews article which was comprehensive.  I added a few of my own, and left out some of his.  The library website I intend to review is not a children’s library, so I didn’t use anything from Lazaris.  I was interested to note the difference between what works when marketing to children, and how different it is to targeting adults.



This is my local library, there are 6 different locations through the Blue Mountains (Blaxland, Springwood, Lawson, Wentworth Falls, Katoomba and Blackheath).  It is possible to get books from any of the other branches if what you want isn’t at your local branch.

I use the library infrequently.  I have a kindle, and do most of my fiction reading on that.  My children use their school libraries, though we have used the local branch for additional material for projects.  I had fairly low expectations about them using any Web 2.0 tools to be honest, so I was pleasantly surprised by their blog Readers in the mist.  It’s called a book review blog, but also has announcements of events and lots of information about the library, arranged under tabs. 

As far as the above criteria are concerned:

1.  The homepage was updated yesterday.  Other pages have not been touched for some time however, some of them for a couple years.   There are a few comments made, and one has not been responded to at all.  Lots of links to other sites, 12 broken (checked with Website Goodies).

The Facebook link only took me to my own Facebook homepage, and Twitter has not been updated since June. Further exploration, and I discovered that the council have a website, and the library posts on that wall.

Social media presence is definitely an area that needs to be improved.

2.  Both the blog, and the council site are easy to navigate.

3.  Search bars are on every page.

4.  Relevant photos (books and The three Sisters).  There are no attributions for the photos.  After making an electronic pathfinder for ETL501, I did go looking for this, and couldn’t find anything.  I was a little disappointed by this, as I know how simple it is to do the right thing as far as copyright goes.  There are also pictures of book covers, and I am dubious about whether permission has been sought to publish them, remembering the hoops some people jumped through last semester, getting permission to put photos of book jackets on their sites.

5.  The blog is mobile friendly.

6.  Feedback is possible on the blog.  Comments are moderated, and there is a list of what is and is not considered acceptable, all very common sense things like not being abusive or using bad language.

7.  On the council site, the catalogue is available to search, and you can see where the book you want is located, and can request that it is held for you, and at which branch you would like to pick it up. There is no charge for this service.

8.  The contact point is very clear, and has it’s own tab, where all the addresses and phone numbers for each branch are listed.  There is no facility for talking to a librarian online, but during business hours, I know they are happy to talk on the phone and help you, because I’ve rung them before.





1 comment: